Sunday, May 9, 2010

Motherhood

motherhood: [muhth-er-hood]
–noun
1.the state of being a mother; maternity.
2.the qualities or spirit of a mother. Check Spelling
3.mothers collectively.
I think that Webster only got it partially right when he gave a definition to the word MOTHERHOOD. When I think of MOTHERHOOD, I think of soooooooooo much more than just the state and qualities of being a mother.
I think of:
  • the moment that we found out we were pregnant and I was so worried that everything I was doing was hurting the embryo.
  • the moment that we found out Christian was a boy...the excitement and joy that I was feeling...I was going to have a momma's boy.
  • the worry, concern and "what did I do wrong?" when I found out I was a gestational diabetic.
  • OH, the emotions when I was told I was now on bed rest because my amniotic fluid was very low.
  • the moment that Christian graced us with his presence. My emotions went from excited, silly, tired to overwhelmed with joy and tears. I really understood what it meant to love someone at first sight.
  • being nocturnal because for the first three months of his life we were sleeping during the day and "partying" at night.
  • the tears, questions, and troubles with breast feeding for the first three months of Christian's life. It was the hardest thing that I have every done and when I could not do it any more I was relieved because of all the stress that I was going through. However then I missed it so much and wished that we could still bond in that way.
  • all the books that I read that keep me worrying about Christian's eating, sleeping, and developmental milestones.
  • the day that I put down the books and became a mother using my own will and not a book written by other females who do not have my son as their son.
  • the times when the only person I talked to all day was Christian and when Shaun came home I talked his ears off.
  • the times when Shaun would come home from work and I would pawn Christian off on him just so I could cook, do laundry, etc. Those are not my favorite things to do but I just needed a break.
  • all the days that we laughed at Christian because of all the cute things that he was doing. Who would have known that spit bubbles and Oreos all over the face would be so darn cute?
  • the mornings that I hear him in his room through the monitor banging on his crib, saying mamma or dadda.
  • at night when he's sound asleep in my arms because of the busy day that he has had.
  • the sensitive skin that he has...when everything that he touches causes red splotches, rashes, or bumps to appear all over his skin.
  • the late nights when he has a new tooth that is coming through.
  • the temper-tantrums he likes to throw when things are not going his way.
  • the hugs and kisses that I get just because.
  • THE BEST PART ABOUT BEING A MOTHER: IS THAT I GET TO SHARE IN THE MOTHERHOOD BLISS WITH MY MOTHER AND EVERY MOTHER OUT THERE.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO ALL THE MOTHERS, THE SOON-TO-BE MOTHERS, AND THE MOTHERS THAT ARE IN PRAYER OF BEING A MOTHER.

1 comment:

Justin and Jessica Jones said...

What a great post...you really summed motherhood up well.