Friday, February 11, 2011

Good Day, Bad Day

For as long as I can remember I have been hounding my mom for a ring that my dad gave her back when they were in high school. It is a silver, double, heart ring that looks very similar to this one, but a little different...

I remember going through her jewelry case when I was little and playing dress up, always picking that ring and her first engagement ring to be my favorites to play with. As I grew up, I would ask her if I could wear the heart ring and she would tell me "No, maybe when you get older." Well, the other day became the day that "I got older." Not only did she let me wear it but she gave it to me. I was so excited, happy, sad, etc. (all emotions balled into one). I wore it everyday for about a week. Then I thought I would go and get it resized to fit my pinkie so I could "really" wear it everyday with all my other jewelry. So, off to Jewelry Warehouse I went.
Well, today my great day just turned horrific, terrible, heart-wrenching, and numbing. Jewelery Warehouse told me when I took it in that it would be ready on the 11th. When I got there today to pick it up, I was told that they had been robbed over the weekend and my ring was one of the pieces that was taken. WHAT! Of all the pieces in the store, they took that one. It was almost 40 years old, why would they want that one? Jewelry Warehouse did say that they would take care of all their costumers that had things taken but it is not the jewelry it is the sentimental value that I want back.
I just keep thinking about how long I longed for that ring. I had it in my possession for about 2 weeks and now it is gone. Will I ever see it again or just see the memories that I have about it? Why do people have to be so cruel?

No comments: