Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Gift

Saturday I got a call that I never thought I would get. I had to run to the grocery store Saturday morning to get some things and when I returned there was a note for me from Ms. B at Jewelry Warehouse. I remember just stopping in my tracks and asking Shaun..."Jewelry Warehouse called?", "What did they want?", "Me to call them back?", "They did catch the people who robbed them!?!", "What about all the jewelry?".

Of course, Shaun could only answer the first four. The last one we still don't know about (however, yes they did catch the people that caused all this mess and heart-ache).

I was on the phone with Ms. B in a split second. She told me that she had been looking through some of their catalog books but could not find a ring that was similar to the one that was taken. She wanted me to come in, look through the books myself, and see what I thought. I told her I would be there on Monday around 5:30.

Monday rolled around so, Shaun and I headed up to Jewelry Warehouse to look at double heart rings. When she handed me the catalog book I flipped through it and saw nothing that I thought looked like the ring my daddy gave to my mom in high school. I was thinking in my head and in my heart that it was a wonderful thing that they were trying to help me keep my sentimental memories and feelings; however, I was also thinking if there is nothing that was going to help me with that then I don't want to replace it. I don't want to replace it with JUST a ring. I want MY ring, with MY memories and feelings.

Ms. B could tell that I was seeing nothing that I liked, so she brought out another book. I flipped through that book and nothing again was catching my eyes. I was beginning to think it was not a good sign and I was going to tell her "Thank you anyway and I appreciate all that you have done." Then there it was...a white gold, hammered- double heart ring, with a small heart in the middle connecting the two hearts together, and inside the small heart was a small diamond. It looked SOOOOOO similar to my daddy's ring.

So, Ms. B told me that they would order it for me (on them) and it would be in in about 3 to 4 weeks. Now, it will NEVER be MY ring and it will NEVER be the ring that my daddy gave to my mom, but it is a very close reminder of what he did give her and what I longed for for so long.

My one thought behind this whole situation was that I just did not want ANOTHER ring. I wanted a REMINDER ring...of good times and bad times, about the storms and the calm times that I have gone through. That is what I got. I hope and pray that one day I (or the police) find MY ring. However, a friend of mine told me that maybe all of this happened so that my daddy could give me one last present from him. He wanted me to have his ring but he also wanted me to have a ring from him that was MINE. So, thank you Marni for that wonderful thought. I am taking it and running with it.

Thank you daddy for my beautiful ring. It looks just like the ring that you gave to mom in high school. I love you and miss you terribly.

2 comments:

Heather and Travis said...

Oh, Donna! This is the sweetest post. I know that the new ring will never be able to replace the old one, but I do agree with your friend - let it be a reminder ring. A reminder of just how special your daddy was. Thinking of you!!!

Justin and Jessica Jones said...

So glad to hear your story had a "happy new ending."