Thursday, July 7, 2011

Boys?!?

There are going to be many "boy" things that I am going to have a hard time teaching Christian, considering I am a girl. Those are going to be the times when he is going to need his daddy's expertise. You know what I am talking about...those things that I have never done because I am a girl. Well one of those things has hit this summer.

As you know we have been potty training this summer and it has been going really well. Christian is now wearing only big boy underoos except at night and nap time. He even insists on wearing his big boy underoos at night time, but mommy is not ready for that. Now, of course, we have accidents every once in a while...playing is a lot more fun than going to the bathroom. One thing I have not mentioned is that when we first started potty training Christian, we taught him to sit down on the potty to pee pee. Well, all of a sudden he wants to be like daddy if you know what I mean...he wants to stand up.

Well, yesterday we were at my mom's house and Christian was playing pbskids (Elmo's page) on her computer. All of a sudden, he came running into the kitchen because he wanted us to help him on the computer and there it was...a BIG wet spot. I asked him if he had an accident and he said "yes" in the saddest and most pathetic voice ever. I told him it was okay and that accidents happen but if he had to go to the bathroom he needed to stop playing and let me know so we could go pee pee (you know the whole bathroom talk). I proceeded to take him to the bathroom anyway (not thinking he had anything left in him) and that is when the adventure began.

When we got in the bathroom I was helping him take off his wet clothes. Let's just say my child is fast. By the time I got his pants off and on the counter he was at the toilet peeing. Now, my child is an independent child but this is not something he needs to be independent at. He was peeing everywhere (in the toilet, on the toilet seat, on the back of the toilet, on the floor, on the wall, etc.) before I could get to him. When I realized what he was doing I got to him, helped grab his little pee pee, and was screaming "Stop Christian, Stop." (like he could really stop peeing in the middle of a streamline). When he was finished I just started laughing and calling for my mom. That is what you do when you need help or you are in trouble you call your mom...boy was I in need of some help.

After the bathroom and Christian were all cleaned up, I went to put some new clothes on him and realized that I had not refilled his bag...no clothes and no big boy underoos. All I had was one pull up. I always keep those in case of emergency and boy was this one of those times. So, I put on the pull up and my mom gave him one of her t-shirts to wear. I wish I would have gotten a picture of it because it was falling off his shoulders and hunging down to his knees. He keep wanting to take it off but I told him he had to keep it on until we got home. You know what he did right when we walked in the house...took off the shirt.

So, the moral of this story is...have your husbands, fathers, or a man teach your son to stand up and pee so they ring the potty...ha. No, for real, I know there are going to be times when I am challenged by what Christian needs as a boy or a man. However, being his mommy, I know I have and WILL step up to the plate and teach him everything he needs to know in order to succeed in those areas. I may not be a boy but I know I can teach him what he needs. So bring on the challenges. I stumped the first challenge but we have succeeded every time after that because he is constantly wanting to stand up like daddy...slow and steady is what I tell him.

That is the moral of the story...slow and steady!


No comments: